Skip to main content

Learn Android App Development with me! #1

I’ve been using Android phone from a long time (I Love it) and I feel that I have explored almost all the options configurations, settings, apps that it supports and does. But I still felt that something is missing, the Android Market still does not have the App that I really want on my mobile. So I thought of developing my own App that will have the functionality I want on my Android.

First I started finding good books on Android development and other tutorials on the internet and then something popped up in my mind “Why not share my learning on internet?” Maybe there are some people on the planet who feels the same like I do, who are not professional developers, who just want to gain knowledge about current trends. At that point I decided to share my learning and progress and now I invite you to share yours with me too.

Android Development I am novice and I just want to develop applications that I want to have on my Android. In this series I will be first exploring how and what of android development and will try to learn and share whatever I have learned in a consumable format. Everyone is welcome to be a part of this, you can be a novice just like me or a professional developer to help others and share your knowledge. Let us proceed with basics and installation.

FACT: None of the steps mentioned below requires administrator privileges which mean you can download, install, and run the following with your user account. (Thanks to Google for making it that easy and consumable)

#1 The Basics

Things to download before we start:

STEP1: Download the latest Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

STEP2: Download Eclipse IDE for Java Developers from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ (You can also download Eclipse Classic if you want)

STEP3: Download Java Development Kit (JDK) from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html (Please make sure you are downloading JDK and not JRE)

STEP3.5: Read the steps mentioned at http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#quickstart (just to get the idea)

Preparing the Environment: (How to get everything working and that too without administrator rights)

STEP4: Extract the Eclipse IDE to a folder of your choice. (Yes not installation required, just extract and you are done)

STEP5: Go to http://www.zjtechlive.com/try-android-2-2-froyo-on-pc-or-mac/ and follow the steps mentioned there till step number 5. (This will download the Android images and emulator).

STEP6: Install ADT Plug-in for Android by following steps mentioned at http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html (Also visit http://www.xtensivearts.com/2009/07/03/episode-1-getting-started/ which features a video on how to achieve this)

That’s all what I did till yesterday. I’ll be learning more about development for android and will share it. Please post comments if any of the above mentioned things didn’t worked out or any other things on your mind. Thanks.

(Keywords: android app development, android applications novice, beginning android, beginning android app development, learn android without admin rights, download android without admin rights, install android emulator without admin rights, Welcome, Guide, introduction, framework, tools, platform, documentation, reference, specifications, panel, Basics, orientation, fits, Discussions, overview, Application, Fundamentals, user, interface, data, Directions, results, Instructions, deployment, Best, Step, code, Appendix, FAQs, glossary, Hello, World, tutorial, discussion, concepts, Topics, Recommendations, techniques, Tutorials, software)

Popular posts from this blog

How to view Removed OR Private pastes on Pastebin?

If you are a "Pastebin" surfer, you may come across private or removed pastes. These are the pastes which are removed by pastebin, or user marked them as a private paste. Pastebin lists following message for such pastes: "This paste has been removed!" or "This is a private paste. If you created this paste, please login to view it." Viewing removed or private pages To view these pastes: Drag the following bookmarklet into your bookmarks bar. View Cache Open the private or removed pastebin page. Press the bookmarklet ' View Cache '. The page will open and you'll be able to see its contents. NOTE: Do make sure you enable your Bookmark Bar in chrome before adding. How it works? This bookmarklet opens the cached version of the page from Google servers. PRO TIP: You can use this bookmarklet to view other sites as well, pages which are blocked by your company, school etc.

Adding .cer certificates on your Android Phone

Wow, what a title! Well actually that's not possible. The only reason I used this title is - in this tutorial we will be using .cer certificate and will be converting it to .pfx certificate which will then be used on our phone. (Experience free call to US and Canada visit How to use Gmail Call features outside US ) I have gone through a lot of pages saying that certificates problem with Android OS, how to use WPA2 Enterprise secured network on Android, how to add .cer files to android and many more. I have found solutions to some problems somewhere on the internet, but didn't found all the related information at a single place. So I thought of writing this blog entry dedicated to adding certificates for WPA2 Enterprise secured network. Please note that I have a HTC Hero (GSM) which is having Android OS 1.5 (Yes I resisted myself from rooting it with 2.1, but the official update is coming soon). I will update this entry when I’ll get my hands on Android 2.1 UPDATE: For in

Using Sandboxie to bypass Trial version limitations in software

Disclaimer: Please note that this article is for information purposes only. Please use this method only for testing purposes. If you want to use full capabilities of software after the trial period, please purchase ‘em. UPDATE (Want to use your favourite applications without Administrator rights… read my latest blog post Web Hosted Applications to find out more ways to run your applications without admin privileges) (Want to Install/Use your favorite applications but do not have administrator privileges to do that… Then please read http://abtevrythng.blogspot.com/2009/08/using-installing-applications-without.html for a workaround) (Experience free call to US and Canada visit How to use Gmail Call features outside US )   Many times we use software that are bound to be used only for limited period, trial versions are available which let users use fully functional software on trial basis for a limited period of time (like 15 days trial) OR in some cases trial versions come